Sunday, February 14, 2010

Moth Juice

We have some uninvited house guests. Some little son of a BITCH/BASTARD moths who live in our pantry. I didn't discriminate against the first couple I saw, thinking they surely wouldn't do any harm. Little did I know they had eaten open a bag of bread crumbs and had several generations all living in the one packet. I think it's fair to assume they were INBREEDING. And I was singlehandedly supporting them and their incestuous choices by supplying them with breadcrumbs which I don't even eat!!

I went to town yesterday and cleaned the whole pantry out, I let the moths I could catch out the window, murdered the rest and drowned all of their babies. The larvae were carefully laid underneath the lips of plastic container lids, under the flaps of unopened cardboard food boxes and in the folds of plastic wrapping on unopened Salada packets (another gluten filled food! I think I just need to stop catering for people with other dietary requirements.

2 pesky bastard moths rocked up again today. I couldn't be assed calling the Residential Tenancies Association and letting them know these dimwits weren't on the lease and were NOT paying rent, so I sprayed them with ORANGE POWER. It's ON like DONKEY KONG, to quote the ever edumacated Stifler.


In other news, I'm on a juicing, cooking and smoothie-ing binge. As the three of us are all a little under the weather, I stocked up on some fruit and vegies and went to town juicing them all. When you realise what real FRESH juice looks like, it really puts you off buying bottles from the store, I tell you what! I even tipped out the remainder of my V8 juice as the stuff I had made looked infinitely better.

SB helped me cut up the oranges, apples, carrots (I kept the skin on because I know it's better for me, but would prefer it without for sure), watermelon, celery, capsicum and baby tomatoes.  Sadly, the juicer 'juiced' some orange skins so the juice is a little more rind-flavoured than I would like (SD and SB wouldn't touch it after a whiff) so my plans of flushing out our toxins with my concoctions failed miserably.

Sadly, the photo of the apple juice didn't take before the camera died. In it's natural state, it looks almost like a peppermint thickshake on top - all frothy, and light green - maybe like a diluted Powerade underneath - NOTHING like the brown juice you buy. I decided to use it to fill my tupperware icy pole containers (see previous posts) with that with a few drops of rind-juice, for SB to enjoy when teething or hot.

The small amount of leftover apple juice failed miserably at sweetening up the litre of juice I had so lovingly made!! But I will chug it down every day, regardless.

Unlike the failed tofu smoothie I attempted tonight. If I forced down another drop I probably would have vomited all over myself. I mixed vanilla jalna yoghurt, gf chocolate powder, soy milk (which I'm not used to, it's been a while since I had that, but I've been rejecting dairy lately) and raw tofu, some LSA and SD watched me aghast whilst I bragged about how awesome it was going to be. I skulled a glass in front of him in hopes that I could influence him to try some, but the attempts at dry heaving may have put him off, incidentally. Looking forward to finding a recipe for that, that's for sure!

I've been keeping my V8 bottles to store sugar, salt, rice and fresh juice in (avoiding using plastic where I can, apart from my Tupperware). Here is a photo of the latter...check out how tonights concoction has separated....


It's been a while since I was a hardcore juicer. Today was rich with experience! That's one way to look at it anyway.

Today's biggest lesson learnt:  Go slow, and taste as I go. (But maybe not with the tofu smoothie.)

-SH

No comments:

Post a Comment