Monday, February 15, 2010

NOM NOM NOM NOM

As a gluten free person, eating out can be a boring pain in the ass. If I have to eat another slice of 'orange and almond' I may have to gauge my own eyes out. It's soooo rare to find cafes with gluten free bread, let alone savoury gluten free snacks!

So, I have been brainstorming fillings since my last batch of gluten free savoury thingies. I found some free range organic chicken thighs reduced to clear and thought I would make potato top savouries.


I tried to photograph everything I was going to use, but I'm more of an impulsive 'ooh! I can put this in! Oh and this! And a pinch of that!'

Peas, carrots, corn, grated cheese, a tin of chick peas, roasted pumpkin, honey wholegrain mustard and curry powder. 


I chopped and then baked the chicken, probably would have been easier if I had baked then chopped...


Mashed potatoes, which I added spinach and brocolli to.



I could have googled how to cut the pastry but was way lazy and experimented instead. I found that two thin strips to make a 'cross' worked best. Some I was even able to close up like you would a cardboard box.

How do you cut your pastry? I would like to get a pie dish, would be healthier to eat less pastry and more filling I suppose.



Me in my vintage apron. I had no idea that I had a problem with shutting cupboard doors until I saw this. I may have to see someone about that. Or perhaps I should see someone about the anger which lies just under the surface of my sausagey disposition, which is totally directed at orange and almond slices. Such anger leads me to wield a BIG knife in preparation for a cafe massacre. Rahhh!! (Haha reminds me of people who say they don't have anger issues and then CRACK IT BIG TIME with road rage or at junk mail. I once did a psyke test and one of the questions was about my feelings towards junk mail, random, no?)

Sadly, SB woke up and I ASSUMED SD was watching the savouries, and SD ASSUMED I had a timer on, so they were a little crunchier than intended, but still ohhh sooo delicious. The mash complimented them perfectly and was a great way to slip in some extra iron and greenage. At least a couple of serves of the days vegies in this, which is something I try to think of when looking at the food intake for the day. Next time I'm going to try gluten free TVP mince.

I really enjoy making these and hope to one day be organised enough to make the pastry from scratch. There is enough to cover leftovers tomorrow and probably a snack as well so not bad. The pastry itself is $10 so all up, it's pretty expensive, I probably shouldn't be making this every week but I'll work on it and it will be nice to be able to rock up at a party with a dish that isn't my faithful gluten free Basco butter cake....

Do you have a dish you always take to parties? What's your favourite recipe?

On the Sausage Housewife FB page, we've decided to each try the same recipe and adapt it for our dietary requirements, and then post the photos. If you have a recipe you'd like to recommend, please email it to sausagemama@gmail.com.....I'm looking forward to expanding my very small repertoire!

I guess by morning I will find out if my chicken curry savouries were cooked properly! (Ahhh that was what was good about being a full vegetarian - not having to worry about food poisoning....)

Okeh bai,
SH.

No comments:

Post a Comment